This can be confusing. To the Marketplace, there is a difference between being the agent of record on the enrollment that is sent to the insurance company and being an authorized user on the Healthcare.gov account. An authorized user doesn't need to be an agent. It can be any friend or family member that is authorized by the applicant to speak on their behalf. This authorization is typically done over the phone between all three parties: Healthcare.gov, the authorized user (or in your case, you, the agent), and the applicant. Once this is taken care of, you can speak on behalf of your client to the Marketplace for up to 1 year.
Note: You do not need to be an authorized user to speak to a HealthSherpa representative about an application as long as it shows on your dashboard.
Additionally, you can access your client's entire application on the Federal Marketplace by using the "Access Marketplace" button on your HealthSherpa dashboard without going through the process of becoming an authorized user on the account. There you can submit payment and verification documents directly to the marketplace following the steps below:
- Login to your HealthSherpa agent dashboard
- Click on “Access Marketplace” in the top right corner of the page
- Sign into your healthcare.gov account using your FFM username and password
- Proceed with application lookup
- Click “Update Application” to access the client’s application
- From here you can perform any account maintenance necessary for your client